miércoles, noviembre 10, 2004

three dreadful things

i haven't had a deep sleep since last week. always, at about 3 am, my consciousness elevates to near-wakedness before diving back to a dream-filled slumber. the dreams are always about people talking without their mouths moving. but for about a minute of this near-wakedness state, i scare myself by thinking of things i'm afraid of. not about the black gob of hovering incubi that fester me (i have managed to exorcise them long time ago), but about the monsters i keep beneath my skin.
a thorough analysis of my past, present and projected relationships and behavior has made me conclude that i am afraid of three things:
1. defined existence
i am afraid of the long, sure line to living my life. i hate
having to follow some concrete plan although i love to
scheme. i want bends in my path, potholes where rain water
may gather and when the sun dries them up, cracks to grow;
this got me to understand why i don't really feel guilty
coming late to a casual lunch or some boring grad school
lecture, or work even. i tried punctuality on a day to day
but i found that losing my nonchalance about the mundane of
the world is not worth a few more minutes in
bed.
2. compromises
i am mostly angered than afraid when i have to compromise.
i believe that i am never without a choice. to compromise is
a sign of weakness or stupidity. only the stupid or the
weak do compromise. and i sometimes fall under either of the
two. and it scares me that adulthood is teaching me that to
compromise is essential and all the world is all for it. i
can never understand the concept of the win-win scenario.
dude, when you lose some and gain
some, you haven't really tasted victory at all.
3. long-term contracts
somebody would have to tie me naked on a tree first
and threaten me with a slow painful death from ant bites
and sulfuric acid to get me to do things over and over. but
even then, i'd prefer brain death over compromise. thus, while
i can conceptualize, launch and stage something, i cannot
do sustaining with as much enthusiasm. in this, i may have
have found that shining bulb that illumines the real truth
about the lack of long-term romantic relationships in my
life. i get bored too easily. i do have some great loves and
they would forever be engraved in my being but romance fades
for me.
and for these three reasons, i am convinced that i am doomed to a single, chaotic, near-crazy existence. not too bad really.

2 comentarios:

Blogger ennui ha dicho...

I am surprised to find your fears in an earth sign; it's atypical. however, i've read recently that adjacent signs in the calendar usually share many similarities ... icnluding fears. I can total relate with you on all 3 points, but unlike me, you have the earthly practicality to keep doing what you're doing. Whereas for me, I'm up in the clouds but I'm slowly being dragged down to lucidity.

Until the time my feet touch the ground, I'll still be enjoying my preponderant descent. Ü


O god ... i sound like the hindenburg. ;P

12:48 a. m.  
Blogger {illyria} ha dicho...

to compromise is human. to compromise (and whine till you get your way, anyway) is illuminati.

9:46 a. m.  

Publicar un comentario

Suscribirse a Enviar comentarios [Atom]

<< Inicio