viernes, febrero 23, 2007

memories of my melancholy whores

"The full moon was climbing to the middle of the sky and the world looked as if it were submerged in green water.”


despite the magical realism and all words enchanting, reading ggm's latest novel made me very scared of growing old. ninety and rickety is just not for me. i'd ask to be dead if i could not take the stairs when i want to. but at par in its effect on my overacting imagination was what Rosa Cabarcas urged the ninety year old love-stricken columnist, whore-crazy in his prime hero- to take the girl, marry her and find out for once how it is to have sex with love.

while the thought of a wrinkly old man "kissing every inch of the girl's body till daylight" makes my skin crawl, it's gabo writing. so maybe, i thought, when we find ourselves that old, it would feel great to feel once again how it is to fall in love and forget that we had been waiting only for death.


“No matter what you do, this year or in the next hundred, you will be dead forever.” - the old man realizing he's got nothing to lose

6 comentarios:

Blogger RuKsaK ha dicho...

very thought-provoking - i thought the bit about the old man was indeed 'gross' but also deeply sad.

10:02 p. m.  
Blogger bismuth ha dicho...

it really scares me to be old- to be perpetually sickly and weak. but more than that, to only feel truly alive at the end of my life. or that at the end of this journey, to be proven wrong- that happiness really is found with anther person. what if it's true, that despite modern philosophies that you are complete by yourself, we are really wired to look for a mate. that dependence on another scares the hell out of me.

7:14 p. m.  
Blogger {illyria} ha dicho...

it scares you, my love, yet the thought tantalizes you with its elusiveness.

5:10 p. m.  
Blogger ... ha dicho...

Everyone's unique, and it may sound trite, but I think that if you follow your passions, you can't go wrong. You'll most likely end up where and with whom you want.

Was that a good read, by the way? I'm not sure I'd be able to relate, anyway, as I never really think about growing old.

11:20 a. m.  
Blogger Russell CJ Duffy ha dicho...

i guess it all comes back to an old song that is very close to my heart.

"hope i die before i get old"

xx

5:24 p. m.  
Blogger bismuth ha dicho...

yes. it does.

Ô¿Ô : it's gabo. need any more convincing? hehe. it lacks the complex plot of one hundred years, the emotional turmoils of love and other demons, and the dark humor of a death foretold but it makes up for those with the one thing that alwys fascinates me about gabo's writing- the feeling it leaves you that you are not so different from the characters. and that scares me everytime.

cj, if we refuse hard enough to grow old, we just might not. power of suggestion.

8:56 p. m.  

Publicar un comentario

Suscribirse a Enviar comentarios [Atom]

<< Inicio